The Canada Building in Saskatoon was once the tallest building west of Winnipeg. It was built by Allan Bowerman, a local businessman determined to capitalize on the great building boom of 1912. Bowerman initially planned a four storey building, but expanded the design to six and then eight storeys. When it was completed in 1913, the Canada Building boasted an upper cornice finished in terra cotta with a beaver motif, and two life size stone buffalo heads to hold up the marquee. The interior was handsomely fitted with marble wainscotting, marble stairs and floors, mahogany and oak woodwork. The Canada Building has traditionally provided office space for doctors, dentists, lawyers and investment advisors.